Sunday, May 2, 2010

Co-Founder No Longer a Fan of BET Network

The woman who once held so much power to the BET network is no longer happy with the company she invested in. Shelia Johnson was one of the co-founders of the BET network and has said she is ashamed of what BET has turn into. It is said, Johnson is so ashamed that she encourage her own family to not watch the BET network.

To quote what Shelia Johnson had exactly said in the interview with TheDailyBeast.com about her once owned network, in which she sold for a great amount money just read below:

"Don’t even get me started, I don’t watch it. I suggest to my kids[a 20-something daughter and a college-age son] that they don’t watch it… I’m ashamed of it, if you want to know the truth."

It wasn’t always that way. “When we started BET, it was going to be the Ebony magazine on television,” Johnson tells me. “We had public affairs programming. We had news… I had a show called Teen Summit, we had a large variety of programming, but the problem is that then the video revolution started up… And then something started happening, and I didn’t like it all. And I remember during those days we would sit up and watch these videos and decide which ones were going on and which ones were not. We got a lot of backlash from recording artists…and we had to start showing them. I didn’t like the way women were being portrayed in these videos.

Johnson says she no longer has any connection with BET. “I just really wish—and not just BET but a lot of television programming—that they would stop lowering the bar so far just so they can get eyeballs to the screen,” she says. “I know they think that’s what’s going to keep programming on the air; that’s what’s going to sell advertising. But there has got to be some responsibility. Somebody has got to take this over. Because with all the studies that are out there, this is contributing to an atmosphere of free sex, ‘I don’t have to protect myself anymore.’

I'm starting to think the only minority BET is starting to represent are themselves because the majority of the people I speak to can agree with Ms. Johnson.


Oh yea, Ms. Johnson is a SheSoAmbitious type of woman. You should checkout her background to learn more about this wonderful woman...she may inspire you!